Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pig Cake

I just had my sons 2nd birthday and we had a farm birthday party. I made a pig cake and again, I'm not posting an actual recipe but more just some ideas of what I did.

1. Chocolate Cake with STrawberry Icing. Totally yummy flavors together! NEver did it before, loved it and would probably make really yummy cake balls! Also I didn't put any oil in the mix, added a Sugar Free Choco pudding mix to it. Came out of the pan great, tasted great....thus you DO NOT need oil! Yay for less fat and calories
2. For the nose I was out of cake batter and wanted something wide and remember seeing often on CAke boss them use rice crispy treat. I didn't have rice crispies but I did have Chex, so I mixed some marshmallows, butter and crushed chex, and it was perfect!
3. I used pre-made fondant for the ears and just cut out the shapes by hand, no cutters. Although the stuff tastes awful it worked good. It's even a year old and I just had to put it in a little baggie with a few drops of water, warmed up in the micro for 15 seconds and it was really easy to work with.
4. Smoothing the frosting. Someone once mentioned using a blow dryer...didn't work as well. Tried it on the cupcakes, but went back to my old method for the cake. After the cake with frosting sitting in the freezer for about 15 minutes you use a tiny bit of water on your fingers to smooth out. I use warm water, but I don't know that it matters. Then you could use the dryer after to help make it shiny again, but I forgot to do that before I put the dryer away.

Other things....I used chocolate chips for the eyes, black sugar sprinkles for the nostrils and more fondant for the border. On the cupcakes I just made animal picks from my cricut. If I had some black licorice string I would have done a little smile at the bottom.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: