Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Candied Sweet Potatoes (YAMS)

Here is Nate's recipe that he used for Thanksgiving. I've been meaning to post it forever ago. Here's his comments of how he did it differently that the recipe.

I did make a few changes to it, as I kind of had a vision of the "perfect" yams before I started. I pretty much did everything the same as this recipe says except for I used a whole bag of mini marshmallows instead of just 1-1/2 cups, and I boiled the sweet potatoes till they were pretty much fully cooked before I did anything to them. Then instead of slicing them in 1/4 round slices, I chopped them into little 1" cubes or smaller. I wanted to do this so they would soak up more of the flavor. (personally, I think that's the "secret ingredient" that made these so good. You pretty much don't even know you're eating sweet potatoes) And that's pretty much all I did different. Otherwise, here is the exact recipe as I found it on the internet. Have fun!


-----------------------------
CANDIEDSWEET POTATOES (YAMS)
-----------------------------

6-8 medium-sized sweet potatoes
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup melted butter, plus 2 tbsp. melted butter
1-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup pecan chips

Slice sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch round slices. Arrange
potatoes in a lightly greased baking dish (approx.
13"x9"x2").

Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans in a bowl. Sprinkle
each layer of potatoes with the mixture. Pour 3/4 cup
melted butter over potatoes evenly. Cover and bake at 375°F
for 30 minutes.

Remove, and baste with remaining 1/4 cup butter. Cover and
continue baking for 30 minutes. (If transporting dish, stop
here and continue last step at remote location – warm 5-10
minutes in oven before adding marshmallows).

Remove, sprinkle marshmallows evenly on top and continue
baking without cover for 5 minutes.

No comments: