Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cutting the meat!

So, I have to apologize, this isn't a recipe. But, this weekend we purchased a LOT of meat and I mean a lot. Like....golly, I think 40 pounds? Maybe more? Beef was .99 cents a pound, the pork was 1.89, and then chicken was like 1.50. So I stocked up. I think about 34 pounds was just beef. Now I'm not a big beef eater, mostly I prefer chicken, but for that deal I could handle throwing some in the freezer.

Another thing, I HATE touching raw meat and dealing with it. So, this post is not necessarily about HOW to cut the meat, but how to cut it and not have to touch it! REad on, laugh at my ridiculousness, but then next time you buy meat and remember this you will love me! (I hope)

So you start with your HUGE slab of meat, or hopefully for your sake much smaller.



Find a large cup for sandwhich size baggies, or bowl for larger baggies.



Cut your meat as you desire it. I had large pieces cut for roasting, small pieces for kabobs, smaller pieces for stew, and even small pieces for stroganoff. I also cut slices for steaks on the grill which I placed on a pan lined with foil, froze for a few hours, then placed in Gallon ziplocks. This way I can pull out however many or little I want.

I used a fork and a knife making most efforts to NOT touch anything.



Then I use a spatula to scoop up the raw nastiness



Then as you spatula you dump into cup or bowl lined with your baggie! I double bag mine, so I had one bag already labeled with date and what was inside. The greatest part is you don't have to touch the meat, and the zip lock part of the baggie doesn't touch the meat.




And if you are bagging larger pieces , just turn the bag inside out, and place your hand inside then grab the meat., then just slide the bag up around your meat and seal!

Nothing super ingenious about all this, just a few little tricks I learned since I didn't have gloves and I HATE to touch the meat! (have I said that enough times?)


2 comments:

Hunsaker said...

i guess next time, just buy some gloves, when buying 40 pounds of meat! lol!

Brook said...

I also hate touching meat!! I wash my hands like 100 times if I touch it because it feels so slimy. Gross! Good Ideas!!