Sunday, November 2, 2008

Caramel Apple Bites

So I saw these in a Magazine somewhere, didn't even look at their directions, but took the idea and made it our own. I have to say I would change some things next time, so I'll post what we did, then also mention what I would have done differently.



Caramel Apple Bites

Ingredients

2 good size apples - any kind
1 package caramel apple wraps
tooth picks
melon baller or mini ice cream scoop
candies for dipping

Directions

Cut out balls from your apples using the melon baller. It's really not super easy and you have to make sure and dig it way deep into your apple. They didn't turn to be perfect balls, but that doesn't matter.

Cut the caramel wraps either into fourths, or use cookie cutters to cut a piece big enough to go mostly around your apple balls.

Wrap the caramel around the bite, with the ends squished around to the bottom. So the center of your caramel wrap is on the top of your apple bit. Stick a toothpick in, place on wax paper on a pan then heat in a 200 degree oven for about five minutes. This is the directions from the caramel wrap package although I might turn the oven up a little bit more next time.

Use the candy's of your choice for dipping but just make sure you do it right away as the caramel cools very quickly. After dipping I would refridgerate for a few minutes. Eat right away.

What I would do different next time....melt caramel if you are really into the dipping as the candy really didn't stick too good, and know not to save them for the next day. Because you are using apple pieces, the moisture totally melts down the caramel after awhile. I even saved them in the fridge and all the caramel had ended up at the bottom of the apples. Either way though we totally had fun making them for Halloween!

What I used to make our Caramel Apple bites



Apple Bites



Caramel on the apple...make sure to wrap....we didn't and then you dont end up with any caramel on the bottom so therefore when you go to dip....it doesn't stick!







Our Candy's for dipping.












2 comments:

Dixie Packer said...

that is so funny, we must be on the same wave length cause that's the second time we've been thinking the same thing
i saw this on a talk show the other day and thought they looked so yummy. i 've always hated caramel apples because they are so big and messy, i can't wait to try them

Shalamar said...

Those are so cute! I really need to post some fun recipes. Sorry dix. I guess I don't cook as much as I used to. All the recipes on here have looked so good. I want to wait til I feel a little bit better to try some of them.