Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tre Leche Cake

Tre Leche Cake
This is the cake that we made for a Missionaries birthday this last week. I have been trying to post semi-healthy items, but thought I would share the recipe for this calorie killer cake! Tre Leche means 3 milk. And this cake is named so because you use three milks to make it! I researched it's origin, which is semi-unknown, and has many variations. This recipe....is my variation!
Ingredients:
1 yellow cake (boxed or home made)
1 cup sweetened consensed milk (or the whole can!)
1 cup evaporated milk
3 cup heavy whipping cream
4 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
strawberries, kiwi, mango or any other fruit for layering
Marachino cherry for garnishing
Directions:
After you have baked your cake, remove from the pan and place on a dish with a lip to help keep the liquids from running off. Poke holes in the cake with a fork, knife or skewer to allow drainage of the liquids.
Mix together the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and 1 cup of the heavy whipping cream. Slowly pour over the cake allowing it to seep down before pouring it all. I didin't wait long enough I guess because there were defnitely part of my cake not soaked as much as I could have and I didn't use all my mixture.....so let it soak in then add the rest.
Beat your extra 2 cups of whipping cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Add a tablespoon at a time, the 4 Tbsp of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add the vanilla and mix well. Layer over the cake just before serving. You can use the fruit in a variety of ways, either laying over the top of the cake before the whipping, over the whipping, or more of a garnish as I did. Or all three!! This cake is best made early in the morning or the night before to allow the milks to really soak into the cake. Remember to keep refrigerated.
Serves Approx 14
Nutritional Content.....there is none! (okay maybe in the fruit and you will get plenty of calcium!)

No comments: